Thursday, 23 December 2010

Drive Time: Songs From The Road

As I've just been tweeting (yes, I hate that term too...makes all Twitter users sound like we're 6), I've been journeying West today on the arduous holiday traffic-filled trip from NYC to Cleveland, Ohio. All well and good, except that I spaced on the cable to connect iPod or mobile to the stereo....sacre bleu!

All was not lost, however, as I lucked out with the rental car being one of the rare models that comes with Sirius XM radio. Aside from the main benefit of moving from grungey 90's alternative, through bonehead nu-metal, and onto refined current indie music, this listening threw up a few new tunes - to me, at least - that I'm now looking up for further listening. It also fuels this blog for another day, as I'll share the better stuff with you right here:


MP3: Tamaryn - Mild Confusion
>>  I'd heard the name bandied about during CMJ but, as with most things musical during that week in NYC, much slipped by. Perfectly happy to catch up here, though, with this sublime track adding a more refined take on shoegaze, ending up somewhere between that and the bright skies of whatever dream-pop comprises these days. Highly recommended if you've been intending to check out the latest loveliness from the chaps at Mexican Summer. More info...


Stream: Tennis - Take Me Somewhere



>> Completely new to me, but apparently this charming indie-pop Denver duo - a husband and wife team - have an album out next month. Called Cape Dory, if it continues in the vein of this soothing slice of beauty then we'll be in for a pleasant treat. More info...




MP3: Beach House - I Do Not Care For The Winter Sun
>> A brooding yet soothing winter tune with a vaguely festive air, courtesy of the bells on which it rides in. Seems like this band can do no wrong this year - including a spot in the H-T-A Top 10 of 2010 - , with their final offering of 2011 being no exception. More info...

Stream: Toro Y Moi - Still Sound





>> Though I wasn't supremely enthused after seeing Toro Y Moi in concert, it seems that on record there's a lot more to dig into. This laid back gem is as good an advert for chill-wave as I've recently heard. More info...



No comments: