Wednesday, 1 September 2010

The Month That Was: August

This is new and stems largely from my Blighty matey jc posting his monthly track listening us for all to see. To spin it back to artist level, here's who Last.fm tells me I've played most in the last month (top 5), as well as my thoughts on the results...


5. Black Tusk - 41 spins - more...

You can read all about the impact their frenzied metal assault had on me after a Corrosion of Conformity support slot here. Suffice it to say, the filthy, rock hard riffs showcased on Taste The Sin are sounds that bear repeating.



4. Solomon's Hollow - 47 spins - more...
 
Only covered - and heard of - a little over one week ago, the light-as-air story telling of Nate Agenbroad has captured the soul of my iPod. Don't believe they have souls? Then whack yours on shuffle and tell me it doesn't get into genre moods....dare ya. Anyway, the songs of Solomon's Hollow, particularly Silent Film and Dakota, are gorgeous and will most likely feature in September too, given that I just downloaded the debut, Stops & Starts.

MP3: Solomon's Hollow - Silent Film



3. Avi Buffalo - 52 spins - more...

A surprise in that I failed to recognise quite how much I'd taken these guys to heart, yet a perfectly understandable inclusion given the sunshine months and the pure indie-pop wonder of these youngsters and their s/t debut album. With a song called Summer Cum, should I have expected anything less?


                       




2. Arcade Fire - 96 spins - more...

Perhaps not quite the marvel that Funeral still proves itself to be, third album The Suburbs is easily the superior of Neon Bible and needs plenty of spins to figure out all its intricacies. The lyrics are worthy of note and gems like Rococo or Half Light II (No Celebration) prove the band still have just what it takes. That is assuming that the two massive sounding shows at Madison Square Garden didn't already take care of that for you.





1. Band of Horses - 100 spins - more...

Spot on the hundred, ehh? Well the new album Infinite Arms finally caught up with me last month and has been required listening most days ever since. Compliments, in particular, is a delightfully upbeat number that rarely fails to pick up my day, where as beauts like Laredo and On My Way Back Home vie for the space close behind. This will be on plenty of year end lists...it sounds like a 'coming-of-age' or 'into-the-mainstream' moment for a band who have been perfecting their craft for a while now.


MP3: Band of Horses - The Funeral (via Insound)


What hit your sweet spot in August 2010? Spill yer ears... 


No comments: