Monday, 9 November 2009

Simplicity Itself

I had intended to post this - and may yet do so - as a more in depth look at the cover song, given the variety of takes I have on the tune. But the timing seems right for this particularly enchanting version of 'Simple Man' by Alessi's Ark and as the song itself recommends: follow your heart and nothing else.


Originally by Lynyrd Skynyrd of course, this cover by 18-year old Londoner Alessi really elicits the warmth of the song, her voice conjuring both hope and longing from words that could easily become trite in the hands of others. It settles particularly well against the original whilst adding a personal flavour of the musician covering, which is certainly one of the hallmarks of a good cover song.

I'm sure I can dissect this further in future pieces but for now the song is more than capable of speaking for itself.

"My mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me my only son
And listen closely to what I say

And if you do this it will help you some sunny day


Take your time, don't live too fast

Troubles will come and they will pass
You'll find a woman and you'll find love

And don't forget that there is a someone up above

And be a simple kind of man
And be something you'll love and understand

Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

Then you can


Don't get your lust from the rich man's gold
All that you need now is in your soul
And you can do this, oh baby if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied


And be a simple kind of man
And be something you'll love and understand

Baby be a simple kind of man

Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

If you can


Oh, don't you worry, you'll find yourself
Follow your heart and nothing else
And you can do this, oh baby if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

And be a simple kind of man
Be something you'll love and understand

Baby be a simple kind of man

Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?
So baby be a simple, be a simple man

Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?"


----------------
Now playing: Madita - Ceylon
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

A Negative Narrative said...

Alessi was kind enough to do a photo interview over on our site. Feel free to check it out

zidered said...

Thanks for the heads up. Love the concept....very refreshing and creative insight into a musician's world. I'll tweet a link & if you have any others you think would be of interest, do get in touch.

Cheers....Ste // H-T-A