Monday, 6 April 2009

Plays of the Week / A Must Read

More from last week's plays, in a regular feature which is - wow - becoming a regularity.

The tracks and the usual summary are below for your aural delight. Maybe whilst you're listening you want something to read? Something true, pure, and socially relevant to fire your soul as Kerbdog rip their way through Severed? Try this here.


Kerbdog - Severed

This was a bold purchase ('On The Turn') when I was 16, what with the cover having a bunch of scarcely clothed geriatric blokes in a changing room on the cover. It was more than worth the jibes from mates, though. At its heart the song is grunge-tinged alt rock of the time, but the sheer size of the riff (a common factor throughout the album) and the distinctive vocals of Cormac Battle lend extra weight to the mix. This album definitely qualifies as a lost classic in my book.


Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - More News From Nowhere

The more I hear of this guy with the Bad Seeds, the more I can't believe it took me 10 years to spin one of his umpteen discs. I bought the full deluxe CD package of 'Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!' last week, on which this languishing, garrulous
tale of Odysseus closes out an excellent album. Don't be a fool such as I, purchase this (or 'Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orepheus'....or both) quick smart.


Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance

I was challenged this week to decide which of this track or
Rob Base - It Takes Two is the ultimate hip-hop party song. The blank look on my mush clearly betrayed my ignorance on both counts.....apparently the UK doesn't know how to party. Having now done my research, I can confirm this ditty as the winner. With the lyrical couplet "I like to rhyme, I like my beats funky. I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy", the original question begins to look somewhat rhetorical.


Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Phenomena

Okay, so I still haven't decided if the triple Y's are hype over substance or well worth a closer examination of the older releases. This in anticipation of much-lauded newie
'It's Blitz!', released next week. However it turns out, this track's a feisty, rocking number drenched in reverb and fx. That's a good thing.


Last Charge of the Light Horse
- Face to Face (Live vid)

Following a passionate live set at Spike Hill in Brooklyn, I was lucky enough to get my sweaty mitts on a copy of their 2008 CD
'Fractures'. I'll no doubt be writing more on this as one that escaped me last year, but for now the video gives a good idea of their roots-tinged rock. A band doing it for the love of music and creating honest, impassioned rock music with real depth. Hear that you majors in your death throes? The ride's over.

Last Charge of the Light Horse - FACE TO FACE



----------------
Now playing: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Messiah Ward
via FoxyTunes

No comments: