Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Trés Bon


Bon Iver - an artist that appeared in many end of year lists, both '07 and '08 due to international release schedule jiggery pokery. Despite this it's been one of those names for whom I've had one mp3 with one play sat on my iTunes.......no more, no less.


Luckily for me, even letting For Emma, Forever Ago wash over me without regard has been forgiven, with the recent release of the Blood Bank ep. The title track was indeed the song that lulled me gently into the fragile and gorgeous world of Justin Vernon, the Wisconsonian (may or may not be a valid term.....they're too far away and busy with cheese to worry about this blog, thankfully) behind this lo-fi indie venture. With it's beautifully harmonised dual vocals and a simple, Midlake-esque melody, it sets a pretty scene and conjures up all manner of natural imagery. The tone continues with heartfelt acoustics through Beach Baby and Babys, before the reverb-laden Woods closes things off with the continued refrain "I'm up in the woods, I'm down on my mind. I'm building a sill to slow down the time". This gives a wee bit of insight into the preceding tunes, as they definitely have a removed from daily grind feel to them, which is likely part of the simple appeal.



Jagjaguwar being the wonderful label that they are, they have no qualms in linking to the main track here, for our aural enlightenment. All the more reason to do a bit of shopping here.....or here. I'm glad to have finally come on board the Iver engine and will now slink back with tail between legs to check out the full album from all those years ago.



----------------
Now playing: Volcano! - Africa Just Wants to Have Fun
via FoxyTunes

No comments: